Over the weekend, my friend Marilyn mentioned that the only thing she missed about “eating clean” was having a cracker with soup. That intrigued me. I was sure I could find a recipe somewhere for crackers that are grain-free, sugar-free and dairy-free with no artificial ingredients. Well, there were a few but only this one appealed to me. As usual, I made some changes, but the basics are the same and the crackers are great. Herewith, I give you Almond Crackers!
The basic recipe comes from a site called Elana’s Pantry. The simple changes I made just enhance them with specific flavors, such as Rosemary, Italian, Everything, Sesame, etc. The good thing is that these Almond Crackers are pretty sturdy, yet have a nice crispness, too, when rolled out thin. If you roll it out thicker, it has a short bread texture. Have it your way! Try these Almond Crackers with Smoky Chicken Chili Soup.
- 2 cups Almond Meal
- 1 Large Egg
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Pepper
- Your choice of seasonings for the tops: rosemary, sesame, poppy, onion, garlic
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a food processor, place the almond meal, egg and salt and pepper. Pulse until a dough ball forms.
- Place the dough on a parchment sheet and top with another parchment sheet. Rollout dough to about 1/16th of an inch for crispier crackers or ⅛ for a thicker cracker.
- Cut the dough into 2 inch squares.
- Place the squares on a parchment-lined baking sheet and sprinkle with additional salt and pepper or seeds of your choice.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes. Cool on a rack.
TRy topping these crackers with my recipe for Everything Seed Topping!