When serving any food that calls for a condiment such as mayo, I usually turn to aioli instead. That said, aioli has mayo in it, so I then need to make my own because most store bought may has either sugar, corn starch or soy bean oil in it. That is NOT FOR ME! Good news is that there are some pretty good recipes on paleo websites for mayo. Paleo Leap, for example. Also, Whole Foods and other stores/Amazon carries a mayo called Primal Kitchen that uses avocado as a base, so it may be just perfect for most uses of mayo or aioli! But for people not following a clean or Paleo plan, this curry aioli is still an amazing condiment, with any mayo! This recipe is inspired by Food and Wine Magazine December 2015 issue. In addition to the mayo change I made, I also added more garlic and more cilantro as I thought they were needed to fully bring out all the wonderful flavors.
- 2 tablespoons extra light olive oil
- 3 scallion onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1-2 large cloves of garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 cup paleo mayo
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- Heat the olive oil in a small non-stick skillet. Add the onions, ginger, garlic and a pinch of salt and pepper, cooking over low heat. Stir until softened, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the curry powder and cook for 1 minute more.
- In a mini food processor add the skillet ingredients and then the mayo and cilantro and pulse until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.