My love affair with artichokes started right after moving to Texas and my husband’s Aunt Lib made them for us one night! She had steamed them and served them with a tangy mayo sauce that had garlic and soy sauce in it.
My favorite restaurant, Hillstone, serves them while in season, of course, but they finish them on the grill and serve it with a wonderful aioli. Now I make them at home but serve them with a little light olive oil and lemon juice…it really enhances the meaty flavor of the artichoke without masking it.
Or try these with curry aioli to dip those meaty leaves in.
- 2 large artichokes
- Olive Oil
- Sea Salt
- Aioli of you choice for dipping
- Trim the point off each leaf and cut stem to about 1 inch.
- Place the artichokes in boiling water stem side up and boil for 25-35 minutes until a sharp knife easily pierces the stem.
- Remove from the water and allow to cool for 15 minutes. While waiting light your grill to medium-high.
- Cut the artichokes on half vertically and brush with olive oil. Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Grill the artichokes cut side down for 4-5 minutes until nicely charred. Serve with aioli or melted ghee.