Instant Pot Velvet Tomato Bacon Soup
I’ve become a junkie….an Instant Pot Junkie. I cannot live without it. I really use it almost daily. I have been taking my go-to recipes and trying them in the Instant Pot. Obviously the goal with the Instant pot is FAST, FAST, FAST…but hold on a sec…not everything needs to be served this way. But, it is really fast, tender, flavorful, juicy…you name it. I am promising in the weeks to come I will be sharing lots of recipes that streamline the point of preparation to the point of sitting down and enjoying a FAMILY meal! Here is an amazing soup that can be served as an appetizer, a soup shot course or a lovely dinner with a salad. Let’s start with this: Instant Pot Velvet Tomato Bacon Soup.
This is a take off from my tomato bacon bisque. But follow with me here!! It is simpler, faster, and delicious!!
- 1 teaspoon bacon drippings
- Sea Salt
- 10 slices cooked bacon, chopped , reserving some for garnish
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 14 Tomatoes on The Vine, cut in half
- 1 14 ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock, plus more to thin
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- chopped celery leaves for garnish.
- Heat oven to 450.
- Set the Instant Pot to Saute. When HOT, add the bacon drippings and then place the onions, celery, carrots and garlic and cook for 6-8 minutes. To this add the tomatoes, bay leaf, seasonings, bacon and the chicken stock. Reset Instant pot to Manual and set for 20 minutes.
- After the cooking is finished, allow to cool 10 minutes, then let the steam out.
- Puree soup in a high powered blender or immersion blender until smooth. Taste for salt and pepper.
- If you want to thin it , add a little chicken stock until it has your desired consistency.
- Serve with chopped bacon and celery leaves as a garnish.
This could be a lovely chilled soup when the weather warms up!!