Paleo Cookie Exchange Chocolate Chunk Cookies
THIS POST ORIGINALLY WAS PUBLISHED IN MARCH 2016. I am running it again for a great idea for cookie exchanges.
Finally, a very good CLEAN chocolate chunk cookie! This recipe will replace your old one and is gluten-free, dairy-free and refined sugar-free and paleo-friendly! Kids of all ages will beg for these regularly!
Many of my desserts and sweets are based on bananas, which I love! But I kind of wanted a cookie that tasted more traditional. I searched the internet and my dozens of cookbooks until I finally came up with my own version. Give this a try, I’m sure it will be a big hit at your house!
Of note, I actually measured all ingredients on my Salter kitchen scale in grams, except for the small measures. The recipe will show the grams first and the other measures in parenthesis. If you have a scale, I highly recommend using it. Notice on the recipe that the prep time says 75 minutes, but this includes the dough resting in the refrigerator for 1 hour. Also, for a softer cookie, bake for 11 minutes and a crispier cookie takes about 13.
- 100 grams almond flour (1 cup)
- 34 grams coconut flour (1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 84 grams coconut oil at room temperature (6 tablespoons)
- 150 grams coconut sugar (3/4 cup)
- 100 grams unsalted almond butter (6 tablespoons)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 100 grams 72% dark chocolate bar (3.5 ounces)
- flaked salt, optional
- In a bowl combine the almond and coconut flours, the salt and the baking soda.
- In a stand mixer, combine the coconut oil and the coconut sugar and mix for 1 minute.
- Add the almond butter, vanilla and egg to the coconut oil mixture and mix for 1-2 minutes more.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir to mix well.
- Break the chocolate bar into small chunks (or larger if you prefer) and stir into dough.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Roll into 35 gram balls (a heaping teaspoon) and place on a silpat or parchment covered baking sheet 2 inches apart and flatten with your hand to spread them out a bit.
- Bake for 12 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to completely cool on the baking sheet. (If using a flaky salt on top place it on the cookies immediately when they are out of the oven.