Paleo Instant Pot Lava Cakes
I am SERIOUS! Paleo Instant Pot Lava Cakes was a last minute dessert for last minute company last night…and was a huge success! I was the only “clean” eater in the group but EVERYONE raved about this gooey, fudge-y, dark chocolate dessert! It was so fast, having all the ingredients in stock and literally cooked in 17 minutes (8 for steam to build up and 9 for the actual cooking). I served the others a small scoop of vanilla ice cream with it, but I enjoyed it just as it was.
Fresh berries or coconut cream would really be wonderful with Paleo Instant Pot Lava Cakes too.
Let’s talk about inventory. I keep 72% chocolate bars on hand all the time. The “Private Selection” brand at Kroger and its affiliates is VERY good and is often on sale for $1.79 for a 3.5 ounce bar!
Wheat alternative flours, like almond flour, banana flour, coconut flour and cassava flour are staples in paleo and clean kitchens. I used banana flour for Paleo Instant Pot Lava Cakes but the almond or coconut flours would work well, too.
Coconut sugar is brown like, well, brown sugar, and it dissolves nicely. The down side of coconut sugar is that anything that is traditionally light in color, cakes, cookies, etc, is quite a bit darker. But that is OK with me! I am all about flavor and texture.
I keep butter in my fridge for some things I cook, but primarily I use ghee. Ghee is butter with the milk solids removed. I keep it in the refrigerator but the Trader Joe’s brand says it does not require refrigeration! To use it softened, leave it at room temperature for a short time. It melts fast in the microwave!
All the other ingredients in this recipe are cupboard and refrigerator staples: eggs, vanilla, salt. Get your clean/paleo inventory built up and enjoy the clean lifestyle with delicious dishes like Paleo Instant Pot Lava Cakes!
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder plus a bit more for dusting
- ¼ cup ghee (plus a little for greasing the ramekins)
- 7 ounces dark chocolate (72%) coarsely chopped
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp instant coffee granules
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 Tbsp banana or almond flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- Grease the bottom and sides of four 4-6 oz ramekins with softened ghee, sprinkle with cocoa powder and tap out excess.
- Melt chocolate and butter in a bowl over simmering water until smooth. Allow to cool for 5 minutes
- Stir in coconut sugar. (This seems gritty at this point but when blended with the other ingredients it dissolves.)
- Whisk together eggs, yolks, coffee and vanilla. Stir into cooled chocolate mixture then stir in banana or almond flour and salt.
- Divide batter among the ramekins.
- Pour 2 cups water into the Instant Pot’s inner pot and place trivet in water.
- Place 3 ramekins on the trivet and place 1 more on top of them. Place the lid on the Instant Pot. Leave the steam vent in the sealed position. (No venting)
- Set to 'Manual' for 9 minutes.
- Do a Quick Release of steam. Click the Cancel button. Open the pot.
- Use oven mitts to remove the ramekins.
- Lightly dust the lava cakes with cocoa powder. Serve with fresh berries or coconut cream!
NOTE: THE COOKING TIME IS 9 MINUTES BUT THE INSTANT POT TAKES 5-10 MINUTES TO BUILD UP THE PRESSURE!