Pumpkin Bars With Chunky Chocolate
This post originally was published in November 2015 but I decided to run it again as it is one of my favorites and it’s nearly the official start of Fall!
After trying some other pumpkin treats, this one was amazing! The texture is like a fudgy brownie, but has the warmth of Autumn spices throughout. And those chunks of chocolate really add to the flavor. When testing them, my husband took a bite, turned to me and said, “These would be great with a glass of cold milk!”
Never mind that they are “clean”: gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar-free (but for a tiny bit of raw honey), these really satisfy!
- ¾ cup almond butter (I use Kirkland)
- ⅔ cup canned pure pumpkin
- 1 medium banana, mashed
- ¼ cup raw honey
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon almond flour
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- a pinch of salt
- 3½ ounces 72% chocolate bar, chopped into chunks
- Preheat oven to 350.
- With an extra light olive oil, rub a thin coat all over the bottom and sides of a 5x7 baking dish (or an 8x8 square, or 8-9 inch round)
- In a medium bowl, mix all the ingredients except the chocolate and stir till well combined.
- Add the chocolate and gently stir to mix in.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool at least 20 minutes before cutting into squares or bars.