Super Simple Instant Pot Asparagus Soup
The Instant Pot Asparagus Soup is a great way to use that glorious green Spring veggie, the Asparagus! The recipe is my old stand by one but this time I made it in my new Instant Pot.
In the Instant Pot, I sauteed the onion and the asparagus, added the broth, seasonings and let her rip. I started this process at 5:00 but did not plan to eat until around 7:00. Once the initial cooking was complete, I let it stay in the “Keep Warm” cycle for an hour. Then, I transferred this to my high speed blender and let it blend for about 30-40 seconds.
Wiping out the IP inner pot just to get out any remaining small bits, I poured the pureed soup back into the Instant Pot and set the “Soup” setting for 4 minutes. When it was finished, it had a nice soft bubble going on and was the perfect “hot soup” temperature!
This soup can be ready to eat in about 30-35 minutes, or you can delay the process to work on your schedule. That is the beauty of the Instant Pot!
This soup is gluten-free, dairy-free and all natural! It is great for lunch or dinner and can be the main course, too, served with a nice salad, such as my Blistered Tomato Salad.
- 1 tablespoon ghee or olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 pound asparagus, ends trimmed and stalks cut into 2" pieces
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1-2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 28 ounces chicken broth
- olive oil or pumpkin oil for garnish
- **Instant Pot Instructions! (IP)
- Set IP to "Saute". When it reaches "HOT" add ghee or olive oil and saute onions for 3 minutes. Add asparagus and saute for 2 minutes more.
- Sprinkle in the seasonings and pour the broth over all. Stir to combine
- Touch cancel on IP then touch "Manual" and adjust timer to 8 minutes.
- When the cooking is finished, touch the "Cancel" button and wait ten minutes. Release any additional steam, if necessary.
- Transfer the contents into a high speed blender and puree until smooth. Wipe out the inner pot of the IP and pour the pureed soup into the inner bowl.
- Touch the "Soup" button and adjust timer to 4 minutes.
- Taste for seasonings and serve.